Domain Central update

Time to follow up on the post from a few weeks back about those crooks at Domain Central; I have, finally, gotten everything resolved. I had to chase them up every step of the way, and it took three weeks, but they got there.

I intend to complain formally to the DNC about the whole thing. If nothing else, three weeks is not a “reasonable time” to fulfill my UDAI requests, and they came piecemeal at that – I had to follow up more than once to get each single code one at a time, despite asking for them all on the first day – and then when I did get it, it would be wrong. I wasn’t provided with the codes upon registration as required by DNC policy either.

In total, I had to send fourteen emails (in streaks of up to four without reply, each separated by at least a day) and use their live chat support service three times to chase it up. They gave me a “refund” that was only partial and tried to pass it off as the whole thing, and their 24-hour response guarantee for the complaints@domaincentral.com.au address is a total fiction. Twice, I had to wait an entire week before receiving even a token response, and I’m still waiting on the complaints one.

At this point, I’m genuinely not sure whether they’re just spectacularly incompetent or an actual criminal enterprise; either way, I’d recommend keeping your business elsewhere. I’d also recommend staying well clear of anything owned by their parent, Australian Style, which includes Bottle Domains, GetMac.com.au, and search.net.au. Unfortunately ASIC doesn’t provide the same sort of detail as the New Zealand Companies Office, so I can’t find out who’s actually behind it, but anything based at 50 Fitzroy St, St Kilda should raise some red flags.

I only used them for registrations under .nz, so I’ve transferred them all (after I finally got the UDAIs) to 1st Domains, with whom I’ve been pretty satisfied so far.

8 Responses to “Domain Central update”

1. Michael says:

Hopefully they’ll give you less of the run-around than they did me. They could reasonably take a day or so to get back to you, and they will ask for your account username/password if you didn’t give it already (eventually).

If you don’t get anywhere, try complaints@bottledomains.com.au rather than @domaincentral.com.au – the latter just seems to be ignored. info@australianstyle.com.au and nick@bolton.id.au are also affiliated with the parent company and would be worth a crack if you don’t get anywhere.

If they do delay and dissemble, file a complaint with the administrator of your domain (dnc.org.nz for .nz, auda.org.au for .au, others as applicable) – you do have to complain to Bottle Domains specifically first, or the administrator won’t take your complaint. I have one pending with the DNC about them at the moment, that I haven’t heard back on in a couple of weeks. I should follow that up.

Other than that… just take all your business elsewhere as fast as you can. Their customer service is shoddy at best, and I never received anything but deliberate deceit in their responses to my complaint. Even if they’re just incompetent rather than criminal (and the spam really doesn’t help their case), that’s still not somewhere you want to be.

2. T.J. says:

Hi, and it just got worse..

I have Domain Central as web host as well, it’s been..an adventure. Today I noticed that I could not send emails to customers in NZ and it appeared that this is due to the fact that they ( Domain Central) are flagged as a spammer dns, in this case by Borderware. I contacted Borderware and they acknowledged that the company has a history of spamming and as a result, their customers are not able to send legitimate email.
    I just requested Domain Central for my Udai code.

Any hints Michael?

3. Michael says:

Postscript: it seems there’s some sort of Drupal bug interfering with the comments to give an error, but they are being posted. I’ll see whether there’s a patch available or whether it’s something I forgot to upgrade. Patch found, it works now.

4. T.J. says:

Finally received my UDAI code, it was like pulling a tooth. Interesting fact is that they advertise that a registrar is obliged to immediately give the code when requested.
    It’s nice to be able to send mail without it ending up in the junk folder.BTW, in NZ Openhost does a good job.
    Cheers!

5. Michael says:

You got it a lot faster than I did. Almost a week is still far too long though, so I do suggest filing a formal complaint to jog them out of their complacency.

They’re actually supposed to provide the code to you upon registration (by DNC policy), which they do not. It’d be worthwhile mentioning that as well, as it would have saved a lot of trouble if you’d had it already.

6. thegreenplumber says:

I was updating information on my account, when i received an error message, and my information disappeared from the screen. Now when i log in, i get no buttons to click to access my domains. I can look at my billing info only….
    Ive contacted “live talk”, three times. The first time i was informed that they could access my domain information just fine, so i needed to learn how to properly click on the right buttons. aaaarrrrggggghhhh! I was told not to worry, i would be sent follow up information. I asked if that would only be a transcript of that session, and was told yes….

We shall see.

I have 28 domains registered with them, without access to any.

We shall see.

7. Michael says:

That matches up pretty well with my experience too. Their service is extremely poor, and their business practices are suspect, at the very least.

They did do everything right eventually, but it took almost a month for me. I suggest complaining to the administrator of the TLD if nothing happens soon (or anyway, because they’re already pretty crooked). I did hear back from my complaint that the draft determination has them in breach, but I haven’t heard the final result yet.

And of course, don’t give them any business in the future. They do their utmost to screw you around.

8. [...] final determination and gotten back to me (yes, it really did take six months). They have upheld my complaint, finding that the crooks did in fact inappropriately withhold my UDAI [...]